In the midst of the stormy and rainy weather, the group met at the shopping center Das Schloss on 10 March 2020. We explored the interior of building before we visited our first destination: the 3000m2 Ingeborg-Drewitz-Library on the 3rd floor.
Equipped with warm raincoat, the group continued the walking tour in the cold wind to the Schwartzsche Villa. The building was built in 1898 as a summer residence of a banker’s family and now, it is used as the district's cultural center. Further South along Schloßstraße (the part of Bundesstraße 1), the passage led the group to a small square that is hidden behind the building. Here Steglitz was founded in the 13th century. Due to its location along the ancient trade route which stretched from Berlin via Potsdam to Aachen, the village developed rapidly. The Protestant Matthäuskirche was built in 1880 as a successor to the village church which had become too small.
The group walked further to Gutshaus Steglitz (Steglitz Manor), also known as Wrangelschlößchen. Built around 1800, it is one of the last remaining evidence of the building constructed in the early Prussian Classicism. The beautiful rooms on the ground floor are rented for events. Schloßparktheater, where famous German artists such as Hildegard Knef and Klaus Kinski performed, is located in the annex and operated by the cabaret artist Dieter Hallervorden. The walking tour ended with a cosy gathering over a steaming cup of coffee at the in-house café of the Schwartzsche Villa.