Visit to the new House of Parliament in Potsdam
We were delighted to be one of the first visitors of the new House of Parliament in Potsdam after its official ceremonial opening on 28 February 2014. Designed by the Dresden architect Prof. Peter Kulka, the magnificent building is a replica of the historic Prussian City Palace (1744- 1751). The interior of this stately building in Potsdam-Mitte is modern yet spartan. Interpretation of this functionality has been put writing with gold lettering on the west facade: "Ceci n`est pas un château" - "This is not a palace".
On the exterior of the new building, one sees the reconstructed historic facade of the former City Palace, which was bombed in 1945 by the allied forces, and completely torn down in 1960 by the former GDR. The new House of Parliament now represents the political heartbeat of Brandenburg, with 88 House of Representatives carrying out their responsibilities in bright office rooms.
After a reception given by the President of the House of Parliament Gunter Fritsch, we had a guided tour with the chiefs of protocol and had the opportunity to view the exhibition of the artist Lutz Friedel with 112 unusual portraits.
Foto 1: the President of the House of Parliament Gunter Fritsch with the group leader, Cornelia Weihe